Zesty Chicken Wings
- CKD non-dialysis
Serving size: 2 wings
- 4 green onions
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons all spice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 7 pounds chicken wings
- Chop green onions.
- Mix all ingredients except the chicken wings. Set aside 3/4 cup of marinade.
- Place chicken wings into a container, or large re-sealable plastic bag. Pour the extra marinade over wings.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken wings on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, bring reserved 3/4 cup marinade to a boil. Reduce by 1/3 until it thickens slightly to a glaze (approximately 10 minutes).
- After 20 minutes remove chicken from the oven, and brush wings with the glaze.
- Raise oven temperature to 400° F and cook chicken wings about another 20 minutes, until done.
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 high calorie
- Seven pounds whole chicken wings yields about 36 wings.
- Chicken wing drummettes or boneless chicken pieces may be substituted for whole chicken wings. Adjust cooking time to avoid overcooking.